Rolling Submission Now Open!
All submissions must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Re:locations accepts contributions in the following categories:
Asia-Pacific related Field Notes from students abroad, Analysis & Commentary on current events related to the Asia-Pacific, and Photo Essays connected with the Asia-Pacific. Submissions are accepted on a rolling basis throughout the year.
- Field Notes should detail experiences of living abroad.
- Analysis & Commentary should be insightful, critical reflections on current events or scholarly literature. Interviews are also welcome pending approval by the Re:locations editorial board.
- Photo Essays should explore social issues or specific people, places, or events and display clarity, documentary integrity, and aesthetic style.
Length of Contributions
Field Notes should be 500—1,500 words in length. Analysis & Commentary should be 800—2,000 words in length. The text accompanying Photo Essays should not exceed 800 words in length and have a maximum of 25 image files submitted as high-resolution JPEGs. Please include captions for all images.
Re:locations uses Canadian spelling and follows The Canadian Oxford Dictionary. Please note that Canadian usage employs “-ize” rather than “-ise” (organize, criticize), “-re” rather than “-er” (centre, theatre), “-our” rather than “-or” (colour, labour), some verbs and their derivatives take a single “l” rather than a double “ll” (instil, enrol), nouns take “ce” rather than “se” (defence, pretence), and the past tense of some verbs takes a double “ll” rather than a single “l” (travelled, counselled).
Please send submissions to email@example.com as attachments in MS Word format for written submissions or JPEG format for visual artwork. Submissions should use Times New Roman 12 pt. font and be double-spaced. Please ensure that you have attached a signed copy of the Statement of Originality to your submission.
Please include in the body of the e-mail the following:
- Corresponding Contributor’s full contact information (name, institutional affiliation and country, mailing address, telephone number, and e-mail address);
- Additional contributor(s) (name, institutional affiliation, and country);
- Type of contribution (Field Note, Analysis & Commentary or Photo Essay);
- A brief (1—2 sentence) biographical note for each contributor to be included in the publication.
Manuscripts that deviate substantially from the submission guidelines may be rejected.
The Corresponding Contributor is responsible for handling correspondence at all stages of editing and publication, and also post-publication. All correspondence will be conducted solely with the Corresponding Contributor via e-mail.
Notification of Selection Results
The Corresponding Contributor will be notified of the results of the Re:locations selection process via e-mail.
Publication Process for Selected Contributions
Once a submission has been accepted for publication, Re:locations will perform the usual functions of copy-editing. The Corresponding Contributor will receive page proofs for correction via e-mail. Corrected page proofs must be returned to the editors by the date specified in the e-mail accompanying the proofs. Contributors should regard this submission as the final version and during this process, only minor changes in style and content will be accommodated. This stage must not be used as an opportunity to substantially revise the work submitted. Should the Corresponding Contributor fail to return the corrected proofs by the date specified, production and publication may proceed without the Contributor(s)’s approval of proofs.
The editors of Re:locations reserve the right to edit the content of work accepted for publication, including changes required to improve grammar, spelling, and clarity, and to ensure that the submission conforms to the academic forum’s style. The editors have final decision authority over the editing. Moreover, Re:locations reserves the right to refuse or withdraw acceptance from, or delay publication of, any work.
Statement of Originality
All contributors are requested to certify that submissions to Re:locations are original and their own by completing the Statement of Originality form, and including it at the time of submission.
Conflict of Interest
All contributors are requested to disclose any actual or potential conflict of interest including, but not limited to, any financial, personal or other relationships with other people or organizations that could inappropriately influence, or be perceived to influence, the submitted work.
Contributors are fully responsible for obtaining all permissions and paying any associated fees for the use of copyrighted materials, both textual and graphic, contained in their submissions prior to publication. This applies to direct reproduction as well as “derivative reproduction” (where you have created a new figure or table which derives substantially from a copyrighted source). Copies of permission letters should be sent at the time of submission to the journal, and full attribution must appear in the contribution.
When seeking to reproduce any kind of third party material contributors should request the following:
- non-exclusive rights to reproduce the material in the specified article and Re:locations;
- electronic rights, preferably for use in any form or medium;
- the right to use the material for the life of the work; and
- world-wide English-language rights.
Copyright in the work is vested with the Contributor under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
Contributors who publish with Re:locations agree to the following terms:
- Contributors retain copyright and grant the academic forum right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work’s authorship and initial publication in this academic forum.
- Contributors grant permission for Re:locations to archive the work online, to make it publicly accessible for download, and to preserve it for perpetual online access.
- Contributors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal’s published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with a full acknowledgement of its initial publication in this academic forum, including the Re:locations name, year of publication, and title of the work.
- Contributors are able, after publication by Re:locations, to use all or part of the work in the preparation of derivative works and extension of the contribution in other works, provided that a full acknowledgement is made to the original publication in Re:locations;
Contributors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) following publication.
The editors of Re:locations make every effort to ensure that no inaccurate or misleading data, opinions, or statements appear in the journal. However, they make no representations or warranties whatsoever as to the accuracy, completeness or suitability for any purpose of the content and disclaim all such representations and warranties whether express or implied to the maximum extent permitted by law. The views expressed in Re:locations are the sole responsibility of the contributor(s) concerned.
Any personal information, including names and contact information, provided to the editors of Re:locations will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this academic forum and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.
Statement of Originality
I hereby certify that this submission is the work of the contributor(s) and, to the best of my knowledge, it does not infringe upon any copyright nor violate any proprietary rights and that any ideas, techniques, quotations, or any other material from the work of other people included in the submission, published or otherwise, are fully acknowledged in accordance with standard referencing practices.
To the extent that I have included copyrighted material that surpasses the bounds of fair dealing within the meaning of the Canada Copyright Act, I certify that I have obtained written permission from the copyright owner(s) to include such material(s) in my submission and have included copies of such permission letters in my submission.
I certify that neither the work submitted to Re:locations nor any substantially similar work has been published, is in press, or is under consideration elsewhere.